ROASTED SQUASH & PECAN QUINOA SALAD WITH MAPLE VINAIGRETTE
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 Delicata squash
- Drizzle of olive oil
- ½ cup white Royal quinoa
- 2 handfuls Arugula
- ½ cup pecans
- 1/3 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1/3 cup feta
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
Ingredients for maple vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp Andean pink salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder or chilli powder
- Preheat oven to 425oF and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Thoroughly wash and clean Delicata Squash and pat dry. Core the squash, remove seeds and cut them into C’s or bite-size pieces. Place pieces on the prepared baking tray and drizzle some olive oil coating all the pieces. Bake for 15 – 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Follow package instructions and cook quinoa. Allow quinoa to cool to room temperature.
- Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a jar with a lid. Place the lid on and shake for a few seconds until dressing is very well combined.
- In a large salad bowl or dish, place salad greens and quinoa. Add pecans, cranberries and cheese. Next, add squash and sprinkle pumpkin seeds. Mix the dressing into the salad or serve on the side.
MEATBALLS WITH GARLIC MASHED POTATOES AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 bag of Sol Cuisine’s Zesty Italian Meatballs
- 5 large potatoes (approx. 1,100 grams)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 12 – 16 twists of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups onions, thinly sliced
- Drizzle of oil
- ¼ – 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder or chilli powder
- Follow package instructions and cook 1 bag of Zesty Italian Meatballs.
- Clean, peel and cut potatoes into 4-6 pieces each. Place potatoes in a large pot of water. Peel garlic cloves and place them in the same pot along with the potatoes. Boil potatoes until ready to mash.
- Drain water and transfer potatoes and garlic cloves to a large bowl. Mash potatoes until coarsely mashed. The garlic will be very soft and should blend into the potatoes easily while mashing.
- Mix in milk, butter, salt and pepper. Continue to mash and mix until potatoes are smooth. Set aside.
- Place a pan on medium heat. Once hot, drizzle some oil and spread it around evenly. Add onions and cook until onions start to turn translucent.
- Mix in maple syrup and cayenne powder. Continue to cook, while stirring regularly, or until most of the maple syrup is absorbed and onions are sticky.
- Serve meatballs on a bed on garlic mashed potatoes and garnish with caramelized onions.
PUMPKIN PIE TARTLETS
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 2 hours | Total time: 2 hours and 25 minutes
Equipment needed: 4” tart pans
Makes 6 mini tarts
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ¾ cup unsalted raw cashews
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup puffed quinoa
- ½ cup of Sol Cuisine’s firm tofu, crumbled
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup + ¼ cup sweetened coconut condensed milk
- 1 tsp agar agar powder dissolved in 3 tbsp of milk
- Soak dates in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain the water and place dates along with cashews and coconut oil in a blender. Blend until coarse, the mixture should be able to hold itself up.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and mix in Puffed Quinoa. Continue to mix until the puffed quinoa absorbs some of the moisture from dates’ mixture.
- Equally transfer mixture into six 4” tart pans. Using the back of a spoon or your clean hands, press the mixture into each pan. If the mixture is sticky, lightly wet the back of the spoon or your hands.
- Refrigerate crust while preparing the filling.
- Crumble tofu (should have a packed ½ cup of crumbled tofu) and place it between paper towels or a cheese cloth. Press down on the tofu to release excess water. Repeat this process until the tofu is completely dry.
- Place tofu along with pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, sugar and condensed milk in a blender. Blend until smooth and very well combined.
- Transfer filling to a saucepan and mix in agar + milk mixture. Bring to boil while stirring constantly and cook for 1-2 minutes (mixture can splatter while boiling). Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Work this step quickly before the mixture sets. Spoon or pour mixture over the crust and using the back of a spoon spread the mixture into the entire tart pan.
- Refrigerate tartlets for minimum 2 hours up to overnight.
Do you know a good recipe?
We’d love to hear about your favorite dishes, and how you prepare them. E-mail us with your recipes for a chance to be featured!